Saturday, March 6, 2010

What made me decide to apply for a service dog?


I get asked that question a lot. I had thought about the possibility of having a service dog for years. I went to try to apply years ago at 17 but I dropped my application due to information I was not happy with. It made me sad but I went on with life. It was not until the Monterey County Fair in August of 2009 that the thought to apply again came to my mind. The thought came to my mind because while at the fair I met Lacy a dog being trained by Canine Companions for Independence . I asked if I could pet her and such enough her trainer said yes. So not a moment later the trainer gave Lacy the "visit" command and she had laid her head in my lap for pets. The trainer and I talked a bit and she thought I would be a good candidate to apply.

After the visit I thought to myself it sure would be nice, to have a dog by my side to help me with things like, opening doors, picking up items that I drop. Most important to me was for a dog to help me do these things in public. Also it would be great to have a dog by my side as a confidence boast and to have a friend at all times. I then talked to my mom about applying and to my surprise everyone was okay with it,

More tomorrow of my adventures of the application process with Canine Companions for Independence!


No comments:

Post a Comment